Monday, January 24, 2011

Cleansed

I haven't eaten solid food since Tuesday. Why? Because a friend asked if I wanted to try out the Master Cleanse and I said yes. The main part of the cleanse involves drinking a mixture of fresh lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water. The book says to do this for 10 days, but I chose to do three so I wouldn't kill anyone. There is also 3 days of easing in and easing out, with one day of raw fruits and veggies, a day of soup and juice, and a day of just orange juice, making my total cleanse time 9 days. I won't say it's been easy, but honestly it's not as bad as I thought it could be. I had one day of sore muscles and a bit of a cold, but living on lemon juice was actually ok for a few days. The main thing I noticed was all the crazy cravings I've had since I've stopped my normal diet. I craved everything from cheese and crackers to the bread at Bahari dipped in olive oil and lemon juice. I even saw this recipe for buffalo chicken dip posted on Facebook and thought "I want that." Note that this doesn't even come close to being vegan or even vegetarian, but I admit, it still looked tasty. I think partly my body just wanted the salt and fat it isn't getting during the cleanse. I also found it really interesting that most of what I was craving was for things I don't generally eat. This doesn't mean I'm going to change my diet, it's just information. What I do know, is that on Thursday when I'm done with all this, I'm getting dinner at Pukk.

Now it's time to go pour myself a glass of OJ.

...but man I could go for some of that bread. Or some crackers and hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment