Sunday, January 2, 2011

Comfort Food

Right before the holidays the organization I've been working for since August decided it was the right time to announce layoffs. It was decided they wanted to fill my position with a bachelor-level social worker, so in less then two weeks, I was out of a job. But this post isn't about my job woes, it's about solutions.

I've been hearing rumors for awhile now that S'MAC had added a vegan option to their menu. Most of my experiences with vegan mac and cheese have been relatively disappointing, but they have such a great reputation and nothing is more comforting than a big bowl of cheese pasta I thought I should give it a shot.

I got my vegan mac and cheese with spinach, broccoli, and portobello mushrooms mixed in. Overall, I think this meal gets an overall comfiness rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend pairing it with the Allagash white ale. I have to admit though, that I think vegan mac and cheese is a bit of a lost cause. I enjoyed this more than the mac and cheese at Foodswings, and I really love Foodswings food. It's just that vegan mac and cheese just isn't quite the same. I have no problem with substitutes, but I haven't found anything that's quite the same for me. I think the S'mac version is worth a try, but I think you gotta get the mix-ins.

As an added bonus I wanna share a recipe with y'all. Cowgirl holds a special place in my heart since it's the first place I went to go out when I moved to the city. They also manage to have decent veggie options especially for a southern-themed restaurant. My favorite part of eating at Cowgirl is the chips and black-eyed pea salsa that comes as an appetizer. I decided to try to make some myself for some of my friends as a Christmas present. I even managed to find Cowgirl's recipe, so here ya go:

3 16 oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed of all juice
1 small jar chopped pimentos, juice included
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, green part only
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
3 canned or fresh jalapeo chiles, chopped
1 firm, ripe, chopped tomato
2 cups vinaigrette (see note)
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced

In a large bowl, blend all ingredients very well. Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight, in a sealed or covered container. Remember the longer it sits, the better it gets! Serve with old-fashioned saltine crackers or with corn tortilla chips.

*NOTE*Make a vinaigrette dressing quickly and simply in a shaker jar: Add crushed garlic, vinegar, oil; close; and shake well. Let stand, then shake well again. Use less than you're tempted to use.


Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment